Skip to main content

I'm A Grey-Bae!

For as long as I can remember “hair” has and still is a major topic of discussion.  For most of our childhood, others such as parents, siblings & other family members decided what would be done to our hair.   As we got older and were given more autonomy, those decisions became ours but were and still are greatly influenced by society "what's in."  The hair  industry is booming now more than ever because hair & what we do or don’t do with it, is very important in our community. 

It's been over a year since I decided to let mother nature take her course.  What I mean by that is I decided to “go grey on purpose.”  My mother had a beautiful head of sparkly silver.   Although I don’t know what age she started greying, I do know that it is a very strong gene on her side of the family.  My random grey strands became more noticeable the shorter I cut my hair.  I'd see strands of grey here and there, but since I always colored my hair, it wasn't a problem.  Early last year, I noticed that it was getting increasingly difficult to keep up with maintaining the appearance of black hair.  I would faithfully buy & apply hair rinse (black color to cover my grey) & faithfully my hair would defy it.  I'd go to my barber who would CUT off the newly colored hair leaving sparkly silver exposed again.  It didn’t take long for me to realize that this was not only a vicious cycle; but a losing battle.  I had to make a decision to continue the vicious cycle or embrace my Crown of Splendor (Proverbs 16:31) earlier than I anticipated.

I must be honest this was not an easy decision.  As I tell women, “it’s not for the faint at heart.” Society has created such a stigma for people going grey.  There are also so many myths about grey hair; so let me take a moment to talk about how grey hair occurs.  Hair greying is a normal part of the aging process. As we age, hair cells on the scalp produce less melanin.  When there are fewer pigment cells (less melanin) in a hair’s follicle, it causes that strand of hair become more transparent (grey, silver, white) in color.  As one grows older, there will be fewer pigment cells to produce melanin, eventually leaving us with a full crown of splendor.   Hair greying can take place at any age, as it is based on genetics.  I get it from my Mama and, who wouldn’t be proud to rock something handed down from their parent/grandparents? I don't know about you; but knowing that made me all the more proud to allow my grey to come in. 

My sister who is older than I am & knows our family genes, expressed her concerns with my proposed decision (“it will make you look old, not everyone can pull that off, are you sure you want to do that now you’re not even 50 yet?, etc.” )  A few friends cheered the idea and others remained quiet, with perturbed looks on their faces.  I found it interesting that males seemed more supportive than females of the idea.  Nevertheless, I persisted with one of the BEST decisions that I’ve made in life; and that was to “go grey on purpose.”   I've learned so much about myself and about life along this journey.  If you or someone that you know have been contemplating rocking your natural highlights, let me remind of Nike’ famous quote “Just Do It!” You'll thank me later!  One of my biggest supporters throughout this process has been my husband.  He was the first to encourage me to “go with the flow” & stop trying to fight the inevitable. I had no idea of the freedom that I would also be embracing. (Thanks Babe!) Out of this process, I earned another nickname (“Greybae”) added to the long list. 

If you know others that are struggling with this decision as many of us do, I encourage you to invite them here for encouragement & inspiration.  We will talk about it, brainstorm on how to get through those rough patches (there are rough patches) & learn how to feel confident rocking what’s naturally yours.  I will attach some photos of my hair along the journey, as well as feature other "Greybae's" here and you will see,  that the possibilities are endless. 

Click the link in my bio to purchase your very own “Greybae” T-shirt & support our grey hair movement. 

All comments, suggestions & questions are welcomed.  Please leave them below because I’d love to hear from you.

 https://www.scientificamerican.com/



 

Comments

  1. Good job, Norman!!! I'm super proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee.... congratulations Lisa for being fully who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this info. I’ve recently cut off my hair and it is now totally grey and about an inch long. No one else in my family nor any of my friends are grey. I’m glad I found your IG site and this blog to keep me inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi 66 Doonie, Welcome to the club, I am glad you found it as well! As I always say "we got options" Check in with me from time to time and let me know how it's going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello my beautiful sista I also struggled with the should I or shouldn't I rinse my hair, and I always chose to rinse versus letting my beautiful grey show, because I thought I was too young for grey hair even though it kept shining through, so after I started having night sweats I guess the salt from the sweat washed off the rinse, so the next morning after I would get a rinse I would look in the mirror I always saw some grey hair shining through begging me to enjoy the true beauty of it , so I did, thank you for sharing this, I will be sharing it with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I feel the exact same way. Love following you on Instagram and love your shirts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS This is Katie :-) from @katiegoesplatinum.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Speaking Of Goals...

JULY 2018 MAY 2017 AUGUST 2018 ALONG THE WAY First let me make a  disclaimer: I am not a Doctor or Trainer nor do I consider myself a "Fitness Guru;" however, many of my friends, family members, coworkers and followers have asked me questions regarding my lifestyle change.  Although I am not a professional, I am sharing what has  worked for me on my journey.   I gained quiet a bit of weight during my pregnancy with my oldest son and although my boys are 21 and 15 yrs old; up until November 2016 I carried more weight than I was happy with. During pregnancy with my oldest son I developed hypertension, which was also a part of my family's medical history.   It didn't bother me much because I was considered "healthy" by my Doctors.   My blood pressure always seemed to run high even after I had given birth to him.  My Doctor's and I figured it ran high at appointments due to family history & my fear of Dr. appts. did not make

Shop #Greybae

DID YOU KNOW WE HAVE TEE SHIRTS, TANK TOPS & MUGS?  JOIN THE GREY HAIR MOVEMENT! TO ORDER BY PAYPAL GO TO   www.paypal.me/darrellbraddy     LADIES/MEN HIGH QUALITY BLACK FITTED T-SHIRT ($25) ALSO AVAILABLE IN TANK ($20) INCLUDES S/H ALL CROWNS ROCK!!! "MY CROWN ROCKS" LADIES V-NECK T-SHIRT ($25) & TANK TOP ($20) INCLUDES S/H  JOIN THE GREYBAE FAMILY! #GREYBAE LADIES MUGS ($15) INCLUDES S/H